The latest notification sets the date of the IBPS Clerk Mains exam date as Feb 28th 2021. There are a total of 2557 vacancies and being one of the most popular competitive examinations in the
The latest notification sets the date of the IBPS Clerk Mains exam date as Feb 28th 2021. There are a total of 2557 vacancies and being one of the most popular competitive examinations in the country, it attracts some of the highest application numbers in the country. The provisional allotment will be declared around April 1st, 2021.
Punjab National Bank, Canara Bank and Central Bank of India are some of its renowned hiring banks. In this article, we shall be looking at the IBPS Clerk Mains pattern, tips and tricks so that you can shape up a solid IBPS Clerk Mains preparation strategy in order to crack IBPS Clerk Mains 2020-21 exam with ease.
IBPS Clerk Mains Pattern
Before we go anything further, let’s look at the IBPS Clerk Mains pattern. The exam comprises of four sections as mentioned below with a total 190 questions for 200 marks. You will get a total of 160 minutes to complete the exam however, a sectional time limit also applies. Further, a negative marking of 0.25 marks per incorrect answer is also applicable.
|English Language||40||40||35 minutes|
|Reasoning Ability/ Computer Aptitude||50||60||45 minutes|
|Quantitative Aptitude||50||50||45 minutes|
|General/Financial Awareness||50||50||35 minutes|
How to Prepare for IBPS Clerk Mains: English Language
- Topics: Reading Comprehension, Sentence/Paragraph Correction, Error Detection, Jumbled Sentences, Active & Passive Voice, Cloze Test, Odd One Out, Fill in the Blanks, Sentence Connectors, Vocabulary [Synonyms, Antonyms, One-word Substitution], etc.
- The English Language section consists of 40 questions, carries 40 marks and you have 35 minutes to complete the section. The general difficulty level of the previous year paper was said to be moderate to difficult. As an answering strategy, 24-26 questions are considered a good attempt.
- The Reading Comprehension part typically consists of 2 sets and is quite a time-intensive. Try to practice diverse passages as it can be taken from fields of arts and literature to science and technology. Further, highlight the major elements that make up the passage such as its main idea or theme, concurrent themes, author’s opinions and relevant counter-arguments and lastly the conclusion. Keep an eye out for the tough words as well.
- As for vocabulary, a highly favoured IBPS Clerk Mains preparation strategy is to make lists of 15-20 words of beginner, intermediate and advanced level and memorise it every day. Focus on word origins, its meaning in the native language and other meanings as well.
How to Prepare for IBPS Clerk Mains: Reasoning Ability/ Computer Aptitude
- Topics: Puzzles, Seating Arrangement, Dates & Calendars, Cause & Effects, Orders & Rankings, Statements & Conclusion, Assertion & Reason, Coding-Decoding, Word Formation, Directions, Syllogism, Alphabet Test, Blood Relation, Inequalities, etc. AND Hardware, Software, Input & Output Devices, Functions of Computers, Operating System, Computer Fundamentals, History & Evolution of Computer, Types of Computers, Artificial Intelligence, Cybersecurity, Networking & Internet, Keyboard shortcuts, Database Management, etc.
- This combined section carries 50 questions and 60 marks with a time of 45 minutes. The difficulty level was adjudged to be moderate and good attempts were somewhere around 25-28 questions.
- For Reasoning Ability, make use of shorthand techniques such as flow charts, diagrams, mind maps etc. Visualise the problem especially in data interpretation and seating arrangement. Draw it out, evaluate possible answer options and move on from there. Use elimination technique profusely as well.
- For Computer Aptitude, computer fundamentals, devices and shortcuts are highly important. Be abreast of latest MS Office versions, Operating systems as well as cybersecurity and networking developments. Fundamentals of IT books are a good source.
How to Prepare for IBPS Clerk Mains: Quantitative Aptitude
- Topics: Profit & Loss, Percentages, Simple & Compound Interest, Time & Work, Average, Ratio & Proportion, Functions, Linear Equations, Quadratic Equations, Case Study Analysis, Probability, Graphs, Speed & Distance, Number System, Simplification, Time & Work, Partnership, Data Interpretation, Permutation & Combination, etc.
- As per last year, the question distribution is as follows: Data interpretation [20 questions], Data Sufficiency [4 questions], Quantity 1 & 2 [5 questions], Approximation [6 questions], Word Problems [15 questions]. 31-36 questions is said to be a good attempt.
- Topics like function, series, BODMAS, divisibility, averages, percentages, etc. are crucial ones that are individually as well as jointly tested in the exam. Therefore, a good IBPS Clerk Mains preparation strategy is to cement your understanding in these topics first and then move onto the advanced ones.
- Data Interpretation questions are asked in the form of the case lets wherein you will be presented with a bar graph, line graph, pie chart, diagram, etc. and asked to answer the following questions. Usually, it explores a missing link or asks you to find a ratio like profit % of the year 2020, etc.
How to Prepare for IBPS Clerk Mains: General/Financial Awareness
- Topics: Current Affairs, National & International Issues, Business & Economics, Important Institution and changes, Economic Statistics, Film & Television, Science & Technology, Culture, Events & Anniversaries, Books & Authors, Environment & Ecosystem, Major Government Schemes, Sports, Important Dates, Currency, etc.
- Last year, there were only 5-6 questions from Static GK and rest were current affairs and changes [MUDRA Scheme, RBI related questions, etc.]. Anywhere between 30-35 questions is a good attempt.
- The best IBPS Clerk Mains preparation strategy is to study from topic wise [Economics, Science & Technology, Government schemes, etc.] modules which delve in detail in each event during the previous year. You will get an idea of the level you need to know at, the important topics and how to cover it efficiently. In the last few weeks, refer to revision notes only. If possible, attend discussion and feedback sessions too.
- Books: Newspapers and weeklies, General Knowledge by Manohar Pandey; Manorama Year Book 2021, Pratiyogita Darpan, etc.
If you have the driving force, you can cover the IBPS Clerk Mains pattern easily and effectively. Trust your abilities, remain patient and do not panic. Give your best & Keep Connect with our education Blog in India