What is medicine for the elderly? Medicine for the Elderly or Geriatrics is the branch of medicine concerning the diagnosis and treatment of disorders that occur in old age and the care of the elderly.
What is medicine for the elderly?
Medicine for the Elderly or Geriatrics is the branch of medicine concerning the diagnosis and treatment of disorders that occur in old age and the care of the elderly. We offer outpatient clinics with Consultant Physicians specialising in a range of conditions including: Alzheimer’s disease.
How do you treat old age weakness?
Here are some suggestions:
- Keep a fatigue diary to help you find patterns throughout the day when you feel more or less tired.
- Exercise regularly. Almost anyone, at any age, can do some type of physical activity.
- Try to avoid long naps (over 30 minutes) late in the day.
- Stop smoking.
- Ask for help if you feel swamped.
What are the common diseases of old age?
Common Age-Related Diseases and Conditions
- Cardiovascular Disease. Hero Images / Getty Images.
- Cerebrovascular Disease (Strokes)
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Type 2 Diabetes.
- Parkinson’s Disease.
- Dementia (Including Alzheimer’s Disease)
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
What age does geriatric medicine start?
65 years and older
While there’s no set age to start seeing a geriatric doctor, most see patients who are 65 years and older.
What causes weakness in legs of elderly?
While those are among the most common causes of sudden leg weakness in the elderly, sudden weakness in the legs can also be caused by a stroke, and a laundry list of less common conditions like Guillain-Barre syndrome, Multiple sclerosis, peripheral neuropathy, Parkinson’s, ALS, spinal tumors, and others.
How can elderly improve weak legs?
Exercising the legs is especially important for seniors.
- Ankle Circles. This exercise is a great way to warm up the legs and feet.
- Hip Marching. This exercise targets your hip flexors and thighs.
- Knee Extension.
- Calf Raises.
- Standing Knee Flexion.
- Side Hip Raise.
- Sit to Stand.
- Heel Stand.
How do medications help the elderly?
10 tips for home medication management for seniors
- Gather all medications, vitamins, OTC meds, and supplements into one location.
- Make sure medication is stored properly.
- Create and maintain an up-to-date medication list.
- Pre-sort medications for the week.
- Double check for negative drug interactions.
Why do elderly take so many medications?
Older people tend to take more drugs than younger people because they are more likely to have more than one chronic medical disorder, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or arthritis. Most drugs used by older people for chronic disorders are taken for years.
What do old people get sick from?
As you grow older, your immune system does not work as well. The following immune system changes may occur: The immune system becomes slower to respond. This increases your risk of getting sick.